BWS Partnership

Building Services Consulting Engineers

Tel. 01372 745 770



Adelphi Court, 1-3 East Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT17 1BB



The government requirement for energy performance certificates (EPCs) on construction, sale or rent of all commercial (non-domestic) buildings is now in force.


Once issued an EPC is valid for 10 years. A commercial (non-domestic) energy performance certificate is issued following a Non-domestic Energy Assessment (NDEA). The certificate may only be issued by an accredited commercial energy assessor.


Every commercial property in the UK in excess of 50 square metres internal floor area must have a commercial (non-domestic) Energy Performance Certificate when it is offered for sale or to let, is newly built or is structurally altered or extended or its heating, ventilation and air conditioning is altered.


This covers the following sectors:

•Retail Units - Shops and Retail Outlets (including Charity shop outlets)

•Offices - Office Blocks and Offices for small business (SME)

•Commercial Buildings

•Industrial Buildings



•Building up for either rent, letting or lease to tenants or occupiers

•Industrial Units

•Commercial Units




Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) has been introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of buildings.

If you are buying or selling a home you now need a certificate by law. From October 2008 EPCs are required whenever a building is built, sold or rented out. The certificate provides 'A' to 'G' ratings for the building, with 'A' being the most energy efficient and 'G' being the least, with the average up to now being 'D'.

NHER Acc. Scheme Reg Member logo Capture experian 2